GENERAL SESSIONS COURT
General Sessions Civil Court is a court of limited jurisdiction. Civil jurisdiction is limited to specific types of actions and a monetary limit of $25,000 except for Detainer Warrants, wherein the court shall have unlimited jurisdiction; and Actions to Recover Personal Property wherein the court shall have unlimited original jurisdiction including jurisdiction to award an alternative money judgment. Criminal jurisdiction is limited to misdemeanor cases and preliminary hearings in felony cases.
CIVIL CASES (SMALL CLAIMS)
- Limit $25,000.00 or less
- Judgment final after ten days
- Individual may represent self
- Corporations must have an attorney
- You must provide the parties name and address to file a case
- Advanced court cost required at time of filing
- Court costs will be taxed by the Judge at the conclusion of your case
TYPES OF CIVIL CASES
- Civil Warrant
- Action to Recover Personal Property
- Detainer Warrant
- Writ of Possession
- Execution by levy or Garnishment
- Petition to Pay by Installments
The Credit Bureau obtains judgment amounts from this office that do appear on credit reports.
Deputy Clerks cannot give legal advice. They will file your paperwork, but they cannot advise you on what action to take. You should consult an attorney for legal advice
|Action to Recover||$162.50|
|Levy on Property||$67.00|
|Writ of Possession||$67.00|
|Show Cause Order/Post-Judgment||$67.00|
|Show Cause Order/Pre-Disposition||$82.00|
|Reset fee (all cases)||$7.00|
MONDAY: 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
TUESDAY: 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
WEDNESDAY: 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
THURSDAY: 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
FRIDAY: 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
SATURDAY: 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m
Phone: (865) ***
We do not accept personal checks. Individuals may pay with a cashier’s check, credit card, money order, or cash.